About Me (Categories at the bottom of the page!)

Saturday, June 27, 2015

The Power of a Flag :ISIS and Nazi's and the Confederacy

I would not fly a swastika. 

I would not fly the flag of Isis. 

I, like many, as I always have, recognize the flag of the confederacy as a flag of oppression, treason and terrorism. 

This flag was carried by a breakaway group of slavers. These slavers attacked, injured and killed soldiers and families from the United States of America. I would take it a step further and remove any statues or likenesses or street names of any of these traitors from any public or government location.

If you want to fly your flag of hate, polish the carvings of the terrorists that led the charge of hate, the rebellion of white supremacy then do so in the privacy of your own home.

It was wrong then, it is wrong now and it should be rejected and reviled.

I lived in the South for awhile. I traveled for SAP also throughout the South for 20 years. I am no Confederate expert by any means. However, one of the things that bugged me about SOME of the people I met there was the implicit division: North vs South (I learned to say I was born in Tennessee) black vs. white, hippie vs ???

No, I think it is wrong. The flag should be disgraced and everything it stood for must be rejected. I realized that Slavery was not the only issue, but any group looks to separate from the status quo. The confederates was no different when it wanted to be a separate country from the North than the proposed Caliphate that ISIS is attempting to carve out of several Middle Eastern countries. I agree that their approach and tactics are different from Isis and other terrorist groups, but some of the people of the South and the worshippers of the confederacy, supported slavery and that is fairly high up the evil tree in my book.

And I know that the swastika has a history that predates the rise of the 3rd Reich, but their crimes were so insidious that I suspect that symbol will carry the death of 10-15 million Jews, Catholics, gypsies and mentally and physically challenged people for millennia to come.

The swastika I am talking about is one typically associated with the Nazi Party and not:

“The word swastika comes from the Sanskrit svastika, which means “good fortune” or “well-being." The motif (a hooked cross) appears to have first been used in Neolithic Eurasia, perhaps representing the movement of the sun through the sky. To this day it is a sacred symbol in Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Odinism.”

And as far as re-enactment, should we re-enact Nazis, Al Qaida, the slaughter of the Native Americans by our military and private citizens?
Again I suspect if you want primitive camping, there are other venues.
Yes, the Confederacy was part of the history of the South, but the Nazis are part of the history of Germany and no one even breathes the word except by old men and young Aryans. I know this. I have been there several times as well.

 I can't totally disagree. Look how Germany and their economy grew after WW2 with the assistance of their neighbors and previous enemies. But it does not validate their position on the Holocaust. I need to remember the Holocaust, not the evil that made it happen. I need to remember the trains that ran on time...Not the flag of fascism. I need to the horror of the slaughter of men and women by ISIS. I don't need their flag to remember the horror. 

Sorry...my opinion.

Flags are a symbol.

In reality they are just cloth with colors arranged in a pattern but they represent the belief structure of their followers. I don't agree with their followers. Whenever there were demonstrations of white supremacy, segregation, violence toward minorities, there always seemed to be a confederate flag around. I saw the flag, I know what it represents and it does not represent camping with nice people in costumes.

What the South did to the Black family was criminal.

How the South tried to destroy the United States, I think was treason of the highest order. With different times and different leaders, once they were beaten, all images associated with their failed insurrection would have been destroyed.

They were wrong.
The fact that US President after US President have had to spend half of their political energies on enacting Federal Voting rights, Housing Rights, desegregation of all schools etc. etc. etc. and on and on, because the extremists of hate and division will not let it go and join the rest of the country in acceptance of all humans.

No, I think it is wrong. The confederate flag of treason should be disgraced and everything it stood for must be rejected.

No comments:

Post a Comment